Article delegate-en/288 of [1-5107] on the server localhost:119
search
[Reference:<_A243@delegate-en.ML_>]
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: NNTP cache and list problems
12 Feb 1999 03:48:26 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato)

Hi Mike,

In message <Pine.BSF.4.03.9901240043000.20000-00000X@phluffy.fks.bt>
on 01/24/99(17:46:15)
you Mike Holling <p6maabdyi-jwxl6zvaw3rr.ml@delegate.org> wrote:
 |Just started using DeleGate, it looks pretty good.  I'd like to be able to
 |cache some newsgroups but not all of them.  Unfortunately, when I turn
 |caching on it tries to cache all articles in binary groups, which isn't
 |going to work.  Are there any plans to add selective filtering for the
 |cache, something like
 |
 |CACHEFILTER=!*binary*
 |
 |would work great for me.

A selective caching for NNTP was supported in DeleGate/5.8.4 (17Dec1998)
as a MOUNT option "cache=no".  With this option, you can suppress caching
for specified server as:

    delegated -P119 \
    SERVER=nntp \
    MOUNT="= nntp://server1/*" \
    MOUNT="= nntp://server2/* cache=no" \

But unfortunately, you cannot separate news groups in a server into
cachable and not cachable (I hope it will be supported in future).
Thus for a while, you must run another caching NNTP-DeleGate which
relays only selected newsgroups.

    #### a caching NNTP proxy with newsgroup filtering
    delegated -Plocalhost:8888 \
    SERVER=nntp \
    MOUNT="= nntp://server2/* hide={*binary*}"

    delegated -P119 \
    SERVER=nntp \
    MOUNT="= nntp://server1/*" \
    MOUNT="= nntp://server2/* cache=no" \
    MOUNT="= nntp://localhost:8888/"

Note that if the same newsgroup is provided by multiple servers,
a group in the server MOUNTed last in the MOUNT list will be used.

 |Also, I'm having some trouble with the mailing list itself.  FTP and NNTP
 |won't allow me access, and the web interface doesn't seem to have any way
 |to just view all articles.

The NNTP port was closed at firewall router, so I asked the administrator
to open it.  Use port number 8119 until 119 become available.
The FTP service requires you to enter your valid E-mail address as the
password of the anonymous user.

 |The "wide" button seems to go back 10 articles
 |at a time, which isn't quite good enough...

You can specify arbitrary range of article list with URL like
"http://wall.etl.go.jp/mail-lists/delegate-en/1-100"
But this is not so recommendable because such list of arbitrary range,
generated as a HTML file and will be cached, will be reused in low
probability by others...

Cheers,
Yutaka
--